Our Retirement Home in Oregon

Our Retirement Home in Oregon
A work in progress (we're fixing it up - bit by bit). Retirement is several years off although. I'll Post updates as they happen...

Welcome to the Blog

My name is Dave and this is the first entry in my first Blog. I haven't done too much on the web in quite some time. Like most folks here, I'm a member of several user forums. Lurking mostly. Sometimes, tossing in an opinion or two - but not too often. Actually, I've had several web sites and other assorted projects on the web. I've given up on web site design as I don't seem to have the time nor the inclination. I'm focused on projects at work and entertaining my wife (and our poodles) in my leisure time. Never thought of sharing my viewpoints using a Blog. The wife says that I never talk to her. Hell, we've been married for thirty years - most of the topics have been covered many times over. She does most of the talking anyway, which is OK. Lucky for me, we have two miniature poodles to keep her 'occupied' while I'm on the laptop (which is often). So why in the hell did I start a Blog? Mostly to make comments in someone else's Blog or document the progress that we're making on our personal projects, I guess. Perhaps, I might have something interesting to say from time to time. Most likely, my best entries will be elsewhere. Sometimes I wonder the wisdom in documenting one's thoughts or opinions on the Internet. Google is becoming more powerful as a search tool... I've said too much already...

There is one thing that I can talk about. We bought a retirement house in Eastern Oregon a couple of years back. Being a 'baby boomer', I'm looking at retirement in a few years. Seven years, actually. Figured that we had better look into where retirement was. We presently live in Lake Havasu City, Arizona (in the hottest part of the state). We have lived here for fifteen years and have seen many changes. Weather forecast (during the time of this entry) is 120 Degrees plus. You get the idea... Besides it being hot here, we miss being around 'green' things. Funny thing. Once you have lived in a small town for any length of time, you tend to not miss the stresses of the daily commute or crowds in general. The wife's big concern is the 'quality' of the shopping opportunities. There is always a trade off somewhere. Lake Havasu City is a town of multiple personalities - depending on the time of year. The character of the town as diverse as the Summer and Winter seasons. Actually, the town is delightful during the Winter. Summer is something else. Summer events here revolve around the Colorado River. I get to see my fair share of the River. I work on the River. I'll probably have some comments later in the Blog about the River.

Getting back to our place in Oregon. Several years back we saw real estate prices shoot through the roof here in Havasu. Most folks here believed that it was due to the mass influx of people escaping Southern California. I could have kicked myself for not have investing in real estate before the 'boom'. The price of our own home tripled. This got me to thinking. Havasu would probably price itself outside of my own retirement income. Perhaps, we had better make a Plan 'B' for a retirement location that is more affordable. Many places were discussed between the wife and myself as we hashed our options over. We decided to look for suitable places during our Summer vacations.

It all starts with the Blog entry 'The Road to Retirement'.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Deal of the Day...

Everyone loves a bargain. I'm no exception. When I come across a great deal I have a term for it. I call it the 'Deal of the Day'. If we take this concept a step further we find that there are several levels of exceptional deals. Let's define 'em:

  • Deal of the Day - The entry level prime deal. To qualify as a 'Deal of the Day', in my book, is where we get 50% or better off the normal price. At a retail store like JC Penneys this means getting that $30 shirt for $6.99. The more common 'Deal of the Day' usually happens at a garage sale. The typical 'Deal of the Day' is normally on something you weren't looking for but couldn't pass up because of the killer price. I rationalize that sooner or later, I'm gonna use it.
  • Deal of the Quarter - More rare. Usually on an item you can use right now. Usually from a garage sale. Usually more discounted.
  • Deal of the Year - Extremely rare. Exceptional deal on something you were looking for. Normally in the color and style you wanted. I also hang this title on big ticket items that I have purchased pennies on the dollar.
Shopping for these deals is an art. I apprenticed under a master. Mom taught me all I ever needed to know about ferreting out the good deals. My first recollection of a department store sale happened when I was about five years old. Mom took me to one of the larger department stores in downtown Minneapolis. The event was a 'Washington's Day Sale'. I remember standing outside the main doors of the store waiting for the place to open. There was a large group of women waiting along with us. At 9AM the doors swung open. In charged the masses. It was something like the game show called 'Supermarket Sweep'. In this show the contestants ran frantically through the store stuffing their shopping carts. Same principle here.

Mom also took me to Salvation Army stores searching for antique furniture. Except, in the early 60's the antique furniture that ended up there was stuff that was made anywhere from the 1880's to the 1930's. At the time, hardly anyone wanted the stuff. Mom would cruise the stores on regular intervals and cherry pick the best pieces. She never went over $20 on anything. Once acquired, mom would refinish the piece. At the time all of us kids thought she was crazy wasting her time and efforts restoring this junk. Today, everyone wants her stuff.
Here is a picture of Mom with her sister Violet. Mom's the one on the left. Mom still shops at the Salvation Army. Every winter she visits Violet in Southern California and they both cruise the thrift shops in the greater San Fernando Valley area.

Getting back to the 'Deal of the Day'. I got one today. Dunlaps Department store in Lake Havasu was being closed. Time was short. They were discounting items 75 to 90%. Too bad Dunlaps was a 'woman's store'. However, they were liquidating the store fixtures as well. I got two oak tables for $40. Not the cheap type but ones made from solid oak. I saw them last week at $150 and $80 each. Today, $40 for the both of them.

I think that this one qualifies as the Deal of the Quarter.

No comments: